Eight hindrances to indelible footprints –
By Pastor Samuel Obafaiye –
1. Partial obedience/disobedience: After that the Israelites had persisted that they wanted a king like other nations around them; God selected Saul as the first king in Israel. Saul was very humble and good just for 2 years and after that he committed his first disobedience by performing a sacrifice by himself. Not long afterwards, he committed partial obedience when God asked him to destroy the Amalekites and their animals. He killed the people, but kept alive their king and fat livestocks. Samuel then pronounced the word of God to Saul (1 Sam. 15: 16-23).
Saul would have reigned till his next generation would have continue after him; but because of his disobedience, he lost what would have been his indelible footprint.
Part obedience or disobedience will take one’s footprints away. Make sure you obey God always.
2. Pride: The bible make us to know that Satan was not evil from the beginning. He was a special creation of God. He was the arch-angel. The one that stood in the presence of God continually. He was anointed more the other angels. However, he allowed pride to overcome him and felt that the role he was playing was too little, he wanted to be god himself. He was then cast down from heaven by angel Michael and earned himself eternity in lake of fire! (Isaiah 14: 12-17).
What do you have that you have not been given by God? God stays away from the proud, talk less of people. You must be humble to leave a good memory behind you.
3. Greed and covetousness: the bible makes us to know that Elisha by the special grace of god was able to receive the double portion of the anointing of God upon Elijah. Everything Elijah did, Elisha was able to do twice. One would have thought that the servant of Elisha would be that wise to demand the double of the anointing upon his master, which would have been a quadruple of the anointing of Elijah. Unfortunately, because of greed and covetousness, the servant of Elisha lost his indelible footprint and earned leprosy for his generation! (2 kings 5: 19-27).
This negative attribute is what actually finished judas iscariot. He was following Jesus not because he wanted to preach the gospel, but because of the the supposed benefit that might come with the assignment (John 12: 1-7). The rest eleven apostles got indelible footprint – their names written on the foundation of new Jerusalem (rev. 21:14) and additional reward to judge their tribe in Isreal (Luke 22:30); judas on the other hand got the second death which is the lake of fire!
Covetous people are always frustrated frustrated people. They will always chase after shadows, because they are seeking to live other people’s lives. Do not put your eyes in what is not yours. Ask God for your own. It is what is unique to you that will have your remembrance on. E.g Manchester; Bradrford; apostle
4. Lack of honour – God: the Levites were a special tribe of Israel before Jehovah. They were specifically assigned to come before God and conduct sacrifice for the people, including their rulers. However, the children of Eli violated the condition of their service before God by taking the aspect of the offering that belongs to Jehovah while the offering was going on, thereby retaining the sin of the people. God would not take it anymore and decided to reverse their indelible footprint. They died a shameful death and their footprint was taken over by a non Levites – Samuel (1 Sam. 2: 30-36).
Lack of honour – Man: the bible admonish us to submit to authority because the powers that be are ordained by God. There was a time when David was running away from Absalom his son, he then came across Shimei who was related to king Saul. Shemei rained abuses and curses on David without giving regard or honour to him(2 Sam. 16: 5-13). Unfortunately for Shemei, David regained his throne. Even though David did not take revenge, Solomon – his son had the opportunity to avenge the dishonour Shemei did to David and that shortened the life of Shemei (1 Kings 2: 43-46).
If you did not give honour and reverence to God, He can’t make you have good memory. If you dishonour people God has placed before you also, you will not earn the sort of honour that will give you a good memorial.
5. Laziness: God hates indolence. He makes sure that people who are lazy are not able to live a life of indelible footprint positively. Jesus told us a parable about the talents. A master was travelling and gave 3 of his servants gifts to work with. Two of them traded with their gifts and gained double more. The other one hid his own gift in the ground and was playing around. Their master came back commended and promoted the first two; but the third one was punished and the only gift that he had was taken away and still given the the first man! (Mt. 25: 14-30). The bible says that those who are consistently diligent will enjoy indelible footprint (Provide. 22:29). The same bible says those that are lazy will not amount to anything in life (Prov. 28: 19).
You can’t afford to be lazy. You will be remembered by what you did with your time. Do you have a talent? Gift? Skill? Or knowledge? Using it well will earn you indelible footprint.
6. Stinginess: Those who are tight handed can never have indelible footprint for good. What will people remember them with?
For the first time in their lives, Cain and Abel were opportune to bring gift unto their Creator. Cain was stingy while Abel was generous. Today, we still remember Abel for his good service to God (Gen. 4:3-5). Nabal was another stingy man in the bible. He was very rich in sheep and goat. Only to kill few goats for David and his men, he refused. He even rained abuses on David. Unfortunately for him, for his deed he suffered a heart attack and died prematurely 7days later, leaving everything he had for David who married his wife -Abigail (I Sam. 25: 2-10, 36-38).
It is not possible to leave behind non-erasable footprint if you are tight handed, because the bible says it will lead to poverty (Prov. 11:24). Except that a poor man invests in a good name, he can not be remembered at all.
7. Mountains of failures & spiritual attacks: it is possible for a bonafide child of God to undergo tough times, the good news is that if you are not ignorant of who you are, you will overcome and still leave a good mark behind. Jabez was a child of God, but was grieved with sorrow and failures. However, one day his sorrow turned to joy; his failure turned to honour and he left a non-erasable footprint behind (I Chro. 4:10). What is that mountain and failure before you? Such failures will come to an end today in Jesus name.
8. Impatience: many of us do go through trials and challenges in life. Some of us are patient to see their way of escape open to them; while others are impatient to act before they ought to and by so doing ruined their chance to leave a good footprint behind.
God had ordained that He will use Abraham to bless the whole world, Abraham however had only Isaac which was the promised child. Isaac on the other hand had two children – Esau and Jacob. These two were twins, Esau was privileged to come out first to become the carrier of the Divine promised from Abraham. However one day after coming back from hunting, he was famished with hunger and he was too impatient to prepare something or even drink water. He sold his birthright to Abel because he saw a ready meal with him! (Gen. 25: 29-34).
From that time, unknowing to him, he became the junior and Jacob became the senior and the carrier of the Abrahamic covenant! Jacob became the father of many nations promised by God afterwards and Esau became the Edomites – enemies of God.
There is a set time for everything you need from God. Your impatience can only be on your knees and not by hurrying to get it done before him. Doing it your way in hurry will delete the indelible footprint that would have come from that thing.
Almighty Father, empower me with everything to do your will. Work in me to please you all the time in Jesus name.
Almighty Father, build an hedge of protection around the works of my hands and all my substance.
Almighty Father, let whatever vocation, business or job I am involved in be like a tree planted by the rivers of water. Let all that pertains to me bring forth their fruits in their season.
Almighty Father, help me not to labour in vain; let your beauty appear in my life.
In Jesus name, I will not wither financially; dryness will not come into anything I do.
I proclaim that my season of financial fruitfulness has come.
From now on, whatever I lay my hands on will prosper in Jesus name.
I will not build for another to inhabit; I will not plant for another to eat in Jesus name.
For every seed of labour, time, energy, money and love I have sown in life, I demand a hundred fold in Jesus name.
Believe God for the wisdom and empowerment to live a life that will generate a good footprint to rest upon you.
Sermon preached by Pastor Samuel Obafaiye at RCCG EFA Leeds.